tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Jackson" <mjack...@cdi-hq.com>
Subject RE: Trying to work with JDBC
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 20:42:10 GMT
First and foremost, don't unjar the oracle classes.  They're fine in the jar
files as is.  You'll just need to put them in the lib directory under your
WEB-INF or in tomcat's lib directory.

Also another thing to watch for is what jar's you're putting out there.  You
only need the classes12.jar and nlscharset12.jar generally.  If your jdk
isn't 1.2+ then you'll want the 11 series drivers.  Don't put both of the
versions in your classpath however, you can sometimes get weird results that
way.

Second, your driver is ok, but the jdbc url is all wrong.  It should be
something like the
following:

	"jdbc:oracle:thin:@server-name-or-ip-address:1521:ORCL"

Third, I'm not sure what you're attempting to do with the server.xml file,
unless you're attempting to use the jdbcrealm authentication you don't need
to do anything with it (I don't do jdbcrealm, so you'll need to ask someone
else).  If you are attempting to use it (jdbcrealm) then you'll need to put
the oracle jar files into the tomcat lib directory.  If you put them in the
webapp tomcat won't be able to see them and you'll not get anywhere.

As for your Java Beans and JSPs, you might have better luck after you fix
the url that you're using to connect to the database.  If you don't post a
message and get some more help.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson