tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mathew Pole <>
Subject BAD packet - Apache 2.0.39 + mod_jk (or mod_webapp) on linux
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:27:58 GMT
Hi ,
At first glance the following combination sounded like a great idea
(especially as I had success with this on windows 2000):

*	tomcat 4.0.4
*	tomcat connectors 4.0.4
*	apache 2.0.39
*	linux (gentoo 1.2 distribution)

In reality it has proved very challenging. I've tried the following:
Following instructions provided by John Turner in
<>, I came across a
couple of issues which I resolved by

*	failed trying to build the, but after setting
apache13.home to a bogus location and running ant native it appears to have
*	copied jk/build/lib/ apache2/modules
*	copied jk/build/lib/*.jar to tomcat/common
*	updated apache.conf file as suggested
*	updated server.xml as suggested, with addition of
modJk="/usr/local/apache2/modules/" in the listener definition

Currently, in the tomcat/logs/catalina.out file the following text is
appearing (note the string after In : : [ changes, but 4/843 remains
   BAD packet 256
   In: : [B@3e58d4 4/843
followed by what appears to be some hex output of mainly 00s.
My suspicion is that this error is caused by one of:

* being compiled incorrectly
*	connector jar files being compiled incorrectly or being in the wrong
*	incorrect configuration

I've also attached logs & configuration files to this email. Hopefully this
is enough information for someone to help me.
In addition to this I looked at the instructions in
<> , but the doesn't work with apache 2.0.39.
Mathew Pole
Web Architect, Gerard Industries
email:  <>
phone: 08 8269 0511 ext 313, fax: 08 8340 1212, mobile: 0403 164 617

View raw message