tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mathew Pole <Mathew.P...@clipsal.com.au>
Subject BAD packet - Apache 2.0.39 + mod_jk (or mod_webapp) on linux
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:27:58 GMT
Hi ,

At first glance the following combination sounded like a great idea
(especially as I had success with this on windows 2000):

*	tomcat 4.0.4
*	tomcat connectors 4.0.4
*	apache 2.0.39
*	linux (gentoo 1.2 distribution)

In reality it has proved very challenging. I've tried the following:

Following instructions provided by John Turner in
<http://www.johnturner.com/howto/apache-tomcat-howto.html>
http://www.johnturner.com/howto/apache-tomcat-howto.html, I came across a
couple of issues which I resolved by

*	failed trying to build the mod_jk.so, but after setting
apache13.home to a bogus location and running ant native it appears to have
worked
*	copied jk/build/lib/mod_jk.so apache2/modules
*	copied jk/build/lib/*.jar to tomcat/common
*	updated apache.conf file as suggested
*	updated server.xml as suggested, with addition of
modJk="/usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_jk.so" in the listener definition

Currently, in the tomcat/logs/catalina.out file the following text is
appearing (note the string after In : : [ changes, but 4/843 remains
constant):

   BAD packet 256
   In: : [B@3e58d4 4/843

followed by what appears to be some hex output of mainly 00s.

My suspicion is that this error is caused by one of:

*	mod_jk.so being compiled incorrectly
*	connector jar files being compiled incorrectly or being in the wrong
place
*	incorrect configuration

I've also attached logs & configuration files to this email. Hopefully this
is enough information for someone to help me.

In addition to this I looked at the instructions in
http://wass.homelinux.net/howtos/Jakarta_How-To.shtml
<http://wass.homelinux.net/howtos/Jakarta_How-To.shtml> , but the
mod-jk-303-ap20.so doesn't work with apache 2.0.39.

Regards,
   Mathew
--
Mathew Pole