tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Marinko, Jeff" <Jeff_Mari...@intuit.com>
Subject RE: Configuration for High TPS
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 17:42:54 GMT
I knew I forgot a detail.... Running Tomcat 4.0.3 (or 4.0.4, I'll likely
upgrade to that version soon).

Quick follow up on this.

I'm testing a servlet I've written that does some caching, and is very quick
once it has cached all of its data.  During the first run, I test it going
40 TPS (over several thousand requests).  Then I start upping the TPS (same
set of requests), and I plan to stop at 200 TPS.

Now here's an intresting problem.  My tool has reported on several runs that
it cannot connect within only a second or two of starting the tool.  With an
accept count of over 1000, I find this rather odd as it should take at least
5 seconds at 200 TPS to fill an "acceptCount" of 1000 (typically the lowest
I've set acceptCount).  I normally run into can't connect errors early
during a test run, when my servlet is still caching its data (still working
on a way to better handle that problem also).

Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Marinko, Jeff [mailto:Jeff_Marinko@intuit.com]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 10:23 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Configuration for High TPS

I'm attempting to configure Tomcat for a test environment to handle a high
number of transactions per second (TPS) and would like any advice others may
like to contribute.  The machine is a fairly powerful dual processor machine
(1+ GHz) running WinNT.  I'm using a tool to send requests, where I can
specify the TPS and number of requests total to send.

I'm running the following with "ok" results, but I'm interested in any
suggestions or better explanations of some of the fields:

               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="2000" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>

Perhaps my biggest problem is the number of connections Tomcat accepts fills
up rather quickly, some of the connections my tool generates are refused
(presumably due to the acceptCount limit being reached, and I have increased
it a couple times).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Jeff

For additional commands, e-mail: