tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: Load Balancing Concepts
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:10:58 GMT
mod_jk and mod_jk2 are currently the only connectors
that supports activeliy load balancing.

What's easy to achive is the following:

- one apache/mod_jk as web server for static content
  and load balancer for dynamic requests.
- Many Tomcat 4.0.4 instances to serve dynamic
  content

In this szenario you don't need an external
loadbalancer.

As I understand it, mod_jk encodes the value of the
jvmroute of the engine tag in server.xml in the
session id and uses that to route incoming requests
to the correct tomcat.

So your scenario should be possible. (I've not tried it)

What's currently not clear to me is, if it is possible
to achive your goal with one AJPConnector in each
tomcat instance for all apaches. (That's what I would
try first, as in this case the configuration of
the mod_jk is the same across all apaches)

Otherwise you can try to use one AJPConnector for
each apache instance and modify the mod_jk configuration
for each apache instance accordingly.

Ralph Einfeldt
Uptime Internet Solution Center GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Hosting, Content Management, Java Consulting
http://www.uptime-isc.de