tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: Apache/Tomcat Connectors List
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:01:47 GMT

Basically, server.xml as the default install has 3 connectors defined:  the
HTTP connector, the AJP connector, and the WARP connector.

- the HTTP connector allows tomcat to act as a stand-alone webserver.  You
can configure this connector to listen on any port you wish.  The default is
8080.  This is what is known as "tomcat standalone".  You can just as easily
configure this connector to listen on port 80 if you do not with to use a
separate webserver (IIS, apache, iPlanet).

- the AJP connector part of tomcat listens on port 8009 (by default) for
requests passed by a webserver that is, in turn, configured to use the AJP
connector to talk to tomcat.  You can also change this port around if you
wish, and you can disable this connector in your server.xml if you wish to
use tomcat in standalone mode or with another connector.

- the WARP connector part of tomcat listens on port 8008 (by default) for
requests passed by a webserver that is, in turn, configured to use the WARP
connector to talk to tomcat.  You can change this port around if you wish,
and you can disable this connector in your server.xml if you wish to use
another connector or tomcat standalone.

Having any of the above enabled doesn't really hurt anything, though in a
production scenario you might want to disable connectors you aren't using
for security and stability reasons.

When I install tomcat on a machine (Linux) I make four changes to the
server.xml if I am using a webserver (apache) in conjunction with tomcat: 1)
I change the Host name parameter to match whatever the webserver is seeing,
2) I add a Server-level Listener directive, 3) I add a Host-level Listener
directive, and 4) I add as many Contexts as I need for my web applications.
That's it.

Hope this helps.

John Turner
jturner@NOSPAM.aas.com