tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Horn, Rob" <Rob.H...@sbs.siemens.co.uk>
Subject RE: Managing a large web.xml
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:32:39 GMT
Will,

What we have implemented (thanks to whoever suggested it from here!) to
include a <context ..> section into our server.xml file is:

we have and M4 macro file server.xml.m4 in conf directory that contains ...

<!-- everything before the context entry -->
include(../conf/context.xml)
<!-- everything after the context entry -->

We have the context entry in a file context.xml also in the conf dir.

We have then placed the following onto the startup.sh script in the bin dir:

m4 ../conf/server.xml.m4 > ../conf/server.xml

Our web.xml file is generated by a script from entries in a database for
servlets and servlet mappings and other file-snippets that are included.  We
have also put in place an application assembly script that compiles files,
builds the appropriate file structure, calls the script to produce web.xml
and creates a .war file.  Non of it is particularly rocket science but the
time spent creating it makes rebuilds and deployment a doddle.

Hope this helps or gives you ideas.

Rob