tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Srinadh Karumuri <skaru...@bbn.com>
Subject session tracking using URL rewriting & META=refresh
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:27:01 GMT
Hi,

I know there are two ways of session tracking in Tomcat 3.
1. Cookies based: This is out of question as our customers do not want this.
2. URL rewriting: We rewrite URLs using encodeURL(...) and worked fine for
more than a year.

The problem started once we introduced the META-Refresh to forward user's
screen after time out when Javascript is OFF. The copy of the HTML source
from browser is as below:

<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh
CONTENT="600;
URL=../jsp/UserMessage.jsp;jsessionid=To1071mC22961575233267228At?msgid=1001&grace=120;">

Since semi-colon marks the  end of URL, browser was not forwarding the
jsessionid. If I copy the URL into browser manually, it works fine.

Q1. Is there a third way of session tracking? I remember reading somewhere
about keeping an hidden <input> field with name="jsessionid" in the page.

Any help on this?

Q2. I guess tomcat doesn't support any other character in the place of
semi-colon. Is there any way to escape this character in the META value?

Note: We need to use Javascript OFF per customer's requirements.

Thanks,
Sri

jsp/etrUserMessage.jsp;jsessionid=To1075mC2510161898001374At?msgid=1001&grac
e=120