tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randall R Schulz <rrsch...@cris.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Installation on linux
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:18:58 GMT
Shakir,

Where did you get that command from?

Here's what you did: You truncated your "shutdown.sh" script. The ":" is
the no-op command that is used when one wants to use side-effects (such as
I/O redirection) without running a command. The ">" is similar to that of
the DOS/CMD.exe/Command.com in Windows, it redirects output to the file
whose name follows. So you ran the null command (which produces no output)
and redirected it to the "shutdown.sh" script, thus truncating it. Had you
used the append output redirection, ">>", all would be OK, since adding 0
bytes to the end of "shutdown.sh" would not do any damage (it would only
alter the last modification time of that file, which you could see with "ls
-l shutdown.sh").

So you'll have to retrieve the "shutdown.sh" script from your Tomcat
distribution.

Then to use it, just invoke it. Since it usually does not run indefinitely
and does not produce a lot of output or usually any particularly
interesting output, there's no need to redirect its output.

I recommend that people recently switching from Windows to Linux or another
Unix-like system get some tutorial materials on these basics. There are
some vague similarities with Windows, but a lot is different and groping
around in the dark is not really advisable.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA