tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: trying to understand contexts
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2002 02:43:17 GMT
Hi Craig,

First, one thing to note is that your contexts don't actually have to be
registered in the server.xml if they are deployed from the
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps directory.  A context will be created automatically by
Tomcat.  The only reason why you might want to add a <Context ...> element
for a particular context is to add some non-default configuration info.

Now we get to the ROOT context.  You will notice in Tomcat's webapps
directory, there is a directory named "ROOT".  That name is a special case
for Tomcat.  Any context named ROOT (case sensitive, I believe) will be the
default context served off of the path http://localhost:8080/

What you can do is place your own webapp inside the ROOT directory and
rename the one that came with Tomcat.  Also, if you want to provide some
extra non-default configuration info for the ROOT context, you can add the
following:

<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0">
</Context>

Notice the the "path" attribute value is "", not "/".

Also, note that your docBase can be of any name as long as you have a
defined <Context ...> element pointing to it and have the path as
"".  Actually, I'm not sure what would happen if you had that and then had
a ROOT directory in the webapps directory without any <Context ...> element
defined for it?  You'd have to test that out.

Anyway, that should clear up some of the mystery.  Write back if you have
more questions.

Jake