tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: AW: forward to TOP-Frame
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:05:35 GMT
One other solution is to target every request to the top frame and rewrite
your entire frameset on every page load.  In fact, this is the solution
that most people who are stuck with using frames use.

You don't need to resort to Javascript.  You can use the deprecated <base>
tag to set the default target like...

<base target="_top">

Set that inside the <head> of each of your frames.

Also, at the top of any page that contains a frameset, you should use:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

and any page that is the frame of one of these pages should have the dtd:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Those two doctypes are the only ones which allow the "target" attribute and
the frameset dtd is the only one that defines the <frameset> element to
replace the <body> element (at least in the 4.0.1 dtds).

So, when you click on any link for submit any form, the request will be
sent from the top window so any response will be sent back to the top
window.  The only thing you have to remember is now you probably have to
figure out some caching solution for pages since there will end up being as
many requests per frameset load as there are frames + 1.  So, if you have 3
frames, each page load will be 4 requests.  One for the parent frameset,
and one for each frame once that parent frameset loads.

Also read:
http://jonasj.dk/frames.html

Jake