tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Tait" <at...@claritycon.com>
Subject Can't start jk_nt_service...
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:31:19 GMT
Following the very helpful instructions at
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lampante/howto/tomcat/iisnt/ from an
earlier e-mail in this list, I have successfully installed Tomcat 4.0.4
and JDK 1.3 on my Windows XP machine.  Tomcat is successfully serving
pages to the 8080 port.  I even have the IIS redirect working for jsp.

But, I'm running into difficulties getting the jk_nt_service Windows
service running.

I successfully installed it using the command:
"jk_net_service -i Tomcat -a wrapper.properties", but I can't start it
with the "jk_nt_service -s Tomcat" command.

The response I get is:
Asked (and given) winsock 1.1
Starting tomcat.
tomcat failed to start.

I also can't start it from the Windows Services MMC (no surprise given
that I can't start it at the command prompt).  The response I get is
"The Tomcat service on Local Computer started and then stopped.  Some
services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the
Performance Logs and Alert service."

Everytime I try to start the service, the Windows system records one log
that says, "The Tomcat service was successfully sent a start control"
followed by another system log that says, "The Tomcat service entered
the stopped state."  These logs are written when I try to start the
service through the Services MMC or the command prompt.

I can't find any entries in any of the Tomcat logs that correlate to the
times I try to start the service so that doesn't seem to be any help.  I
also can't find any other useful logs.

In searching the e-mail archives I found another reference to this
problem, but the thread died before any solution came about.  Any
direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex