tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Yellman <pyell...@webformation.com>
Subject Tomcat 4.1.9 beta, Postgresql jndi / jdbc problem
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:21:08 GMT
I would be interested in any comments on the following problem I
encountered setting up a jdbc datasource to Postgresql on Tomcat 4.1.9 beta.

os - RedHat Linux 7.1 i386
db - Postgresql 7.1.3
driver - jdbc7.1-1.2.jar (jdbc driver for pg 7.1, java2)
tc - Tomcat 4.1.9 beta.

The problem arose after I used the new web admin interface to set up a
jdbc datasource to my Postgresql database (although the web admin
doesn't seem to be the problem). I received the error:

"org.apache.jasper.JasperException: The user property is missing. It is
mandatory."

However, the user property was not in fact missing.

The web admin inserted the following resource parameters into my
server.xml (abridged):
<parameter>
   <name>user</name>
   <value>postgres</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
   <name>url</name>
   <value>jdbc:postgresql:testdb1</value>
</parameter>
<parameter>
   <name>password</name>
   <value>password_here</value>
</parameter>

The part above is identical to the corresponding parts in my 4.0.x
jndi/jdbc setup(s), which work fine.

I discovered the following workarounds in server.xml:
(1) attach the user parameter to the end of the jdbc url (e.g.,
jdbc:postgresql:testdb1?user=postgres), or
(2) change the parameter named "user" to "username", as in
<parameter>
   <name>username</name>
   <value>postgres</value>
</parameter>

The Postgresql documentation clearly states that the property in
questions is "name".

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter Yellman