tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andre E. Bar'yudin" <baryu...@pob.huji.ac.il>
Subject Re: Arabic content
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:45:12 GMT
Laurent FĂ©ral-Pierssens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have been realizing web applications for the last 2 years using
> Tomcat. Last week, one of our clients asked us if we could provide a
> multilingual application that would contain English, French and Arabic
> content.
>
> My questions are vague for now. Did anyone actually produced an
> application with Arabic content? What should we have to take in
> consideration in our design and development? What are the risks and
> traps to avoid while coding such webapp? Is there a problem with
> displaying such information under Tomcat? storing it in MySQL?

I implemented a few applications which had multilingual support
(English/Hebrew/Russian/Spanish right now).  All the data is stored as
Unicode and is sent to client in UTF-8 encoding - believe me, it saved
me a lot of trouble, especially due to the Java built-in support of
UNICODE.  I don't know whether MySQL supports any UNICODE encodings.  I
had success with PostgreSQL/MS SQL/Oracle.

Some Tomcat versions have problems with UTF-8 for some reason.  I've
found that versions 4.0.2, 4.0.3 and 4.1.9beta work.  All others have
failed for me (and I tested them one by one with the same code).

As to displaying - as long as your client's software supports UTF-8 it
works.  This includes IE and recent versions of Mozilla/Netscape.  Opera
is still bad when it comes to RTL languages.