tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Mossakowski <dm...@Instinet.Com>
Subject Re: Apache/Tomcat Connectors List
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:31:31 GMT
I think this is a very nice description.  The only thing I would add is
that there may be a confusion as to why a connector seems to be in two
places (in Tomcat and in cases of AJP and WARP in Apache).  The
confusion can be simply cleared by saying that Tomcat has the
_receiving_ ends of connectors (for simplicity sake).  As such Tomcat
_listens_ for requests on these ports and so:

- the HTTP connector listens for HTTP requests which can be generated
straight from your favorite browser.

- the AJP and WARP connectors listen for another type of requests that
are generally generated by another program (sender) which is generally
integrated into a web server such as Apache.

I don't claim to know a great deal about this but it appears as such and
that's how I think about it for simplicity sake.

d.

Turner, John wrote:

> Basically, server.xml as the default install has 3 connectors defined:  the
> HTTP connector, the AJP connector, and the WARP connector.
>
> - the HTTP connector allows tomcat to act as a stand-alone webserver.  You
> can configure this connector to listen on any port you wish.  The default is
> 8080.  This is what is known as "tomcat standalone".  You can just as easily
> configure this connector to listen on port 80 if you do not with to use a
> separate webserver (IIS, apache, iPlanet).
>
> - the AJP connector part of tomcat listens on port 8009 (by default) for
> requests passed by a webserver that is, in turn, configured to use the AJP
> connector to talk to tomcat.  You can also change this port around if you
> wish, and you can disable this connector in your server.xml if you wish to
> use tomcat in standalone mode or with another connector.
>
> - the WARP connector part of tomcat listens on port 8008 (by default) for
> requests passed by a webserver that is, in turn, configured to use the WARP
> connector to talk to tomcat.  You can change this port around if you wish,
> and you can disable this connector in your server.xml if you wish to use
> another connector or tomcat standalone.
>
> Having any of the above enabled doesn't really hurt anything, though in a
> production scenario you might want to disable connectors you aren't using
> for security and stability reasons.
>
> When I install tomcat on a machine (Linux) I make four changes to the
> server.xml if I am using a webserver (apache) in conjunction with tomcat: 1)
> I change the Host name parameter to match whatever the webserver is seeing,
> 2) I add a Server-level Listener directive, 3) I add a Host-level Listener
> directive, and 4) I add as many Contexts as I need for my web applications.
> That's it.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> John Turner
> jturner@NOSPAM.aas.com

David Mossakowski              dmoss@instinet.com
Instinet Corporation                 212.310.7275

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com