tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sharples, Brian" <Brian.Sharp...@cingular.com>
Subject Errors Compiling a JSP
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:14:30 GMT
Hi,

I am learning JSP with the SAMS book"Teach Yourself JSP in 24 Hours".  One
of the sample JSPs keeps getting a compiler error.  The code is:

<HTML>
<HEAD><TITLE>JSP that processes parameters in a link</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY>
Parameters
<UL>
<LI>Country = <%= request.getParameter("country") %>
<LI>Colors:
	<UL>
	<%! String[] colorValues = request.getParameterValues("colors"); %>
	<LI>Color 1 = <%= colorValues[0]%>
	<LI>Color 2 = <%= colorValues[1]%>
	<LI>Color 3 = <%= colorValues[2]%>
	</UL>
</UL>
</BODY>
</HTML>

The error is a status 500 - Internal Server Error: Undefined variable or
class name: request
String[] colorValues = request.getParameterValues("colors");
If I remove the colorValues variable declaration and just put <%
request.getParameterValues("colors") %>, I get past that line.  Of course,
the next line then shows colorValues as undefined.
I don't understand why this is occurring.  I am using Tomcat 4.0.4 and j2sdk
1.4.0_01.
Thanks for your help.
Brian Sharples