tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: does authorization occurr for each request?
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:57:40 GMT

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, jfc wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:03:10 +0000
> From: jfc <jfc100@btopenworld.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: does authorization occurr for each request?
>
> Hi,
>
> What kind of caching does the following tag disable?
>
>  <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator"
>      debug="3" cache="false"/>

If you are using sessions, Tomcat normally caches the looked-up Principal
object in the session so that it doesn't need to be looked up on every
request.  Setting the "cache" property to false disables this.

> According to Scott Stark from jboss, caching is turned off within the
> jboss/tomcat bundle with the above tag. And this is the default as there
> are conflicts with the propagation to the ejb layer). How does this
> affect the web container's ability to recognize a previously
> authenticated request on a subsequent request to a non-secured resource
> (within the same session). It appears as though tomcat won't hold the
> info neccessary to authorize the request.

You'll have to ask the JBoss folks how they deal with this issue, since
they are modifying Tomcat's default behavior.

> Where does tomcat cache this info when caching is on

In private variables associated with the internal object that implements
HttpSession.

> and how can I
> manually cache the info

You can't access this stuff from a webapp; the only thing you can do is
set or not set the "cache" property.

 - and, again, what is the info (username and
> password and roles or just roles?).

The standard Authenticator caches the Principal object returned by the
Realm.  In the case of Tomcat's standard Realm implementations, this is an
org.apache.catalina.realm.GenericPrincipal that stores the username and
all the roles.  I haven't got a clue what JBoss's Realm might return.

> I'm trying to establish whether I need to secure every single requested
> resource in order to get the web container to 'remember' the session's
> authentication or whether by doing some kind of caching myself, I can
> effectively replace this particular caching of tomcat's (which is turned
> off by default in the jboss/tomcat bundles)

You really need to be asking the JBoss folks these questions, since their
integration changes the behavior of some of Tomcat's standard components,
and replaces others.  But I don't really understand why you care about the
internal implementation details in the first place -- as long as the
combined Tomcat+JBoss server acts in a spec-compliant manner with regards
to security, isn't that enough?

> thanks
>
> jfc

Craig