tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Kehoe" <ke...@fortuity.com>
Subject deploying apps simply (simply deploying apps)
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 06:09:04 GMT
On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 21:53:52 -0700 (PDT), "Craig R. McClanahan"
<craigmcc@apache.org> said
(on the roller-development and struts-dev lists):
> PS:  In Tomcat 4.1.x, the "deploy" command of the manager app lets you
> include a context configuration file in the WAR, at location
> "META-INF/context.xml".  So it might still be possible to configure a
> single WAR that works correctly in Tomcat 4.1.x and still works in
> other servers (that would obviously ignore such a file).

I'd like a user to download a war file that has a
"META-INF/context.xml" that defines
a default JNDI data source (an HSQLDB database), drop the war file into
<tomcat>/webapps/,
restart Tomcat, and test the app. Then, if they want to use a different
datasource, I'd like
them to use the Tomcat admin tool to change the JDBC driver and URL for
the database,
overriding the "META-INF/context.xml" setting. This is the simplest
install procedure I can
imagine. However, that doesn't seem possible currently. What are the
alternatives?

I can tell the user to unzip an archive that contains myapp.xml and
myapp.war, copy the myapp.xml
into <tomcat>/webapps/, unjar the myapp.war into <tomcat>/webapps/, and
restart Tomcat, then use
the Tomcat admin tool to change the JDBC driver and URL for the
database. But that seems to be as
simple as I can make it currently. Can I do better?
--
  Daniel
  kehoe@fortuity.com