tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sean LeBlanc <s...@nutros.com>
Subject Re: SSL and Tomcat as a service
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 15:58:28 GMT
On 08-08 07:13, Tathagat (London) wrote:
> Could you please provide more details, like:
> are you using server certificates. What do you mean by crashes. When you run
> manually and as service what's the difference you get.

I'm using a self-signed one per the instructions on the Tomcat page. This works
in standalone(well, with the expected warnings from the browser since it's a
bogus cert). The main difference between standalone and service is that the
standalone sucessfully starts up with SSL and the service doesn't. :)

I've tried setting JSSE_HOME since, I see the bat file has some check for that,
but it doesn't seem to work either. I'm not sure if the service even uses the
.bat file to start Tomcat, though.

Here's what stdout.log has:
Create Catalina server
Exception during startup processing
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:42)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:28)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:428)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/net/ServerSocketFactory
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.findBootstrapClass(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.findBootstrapClass0(ClassLoader.java:733)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLoader.java:1076)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLoader.java:992)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLoader.java:1076)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLoader.java:992)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:325)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.xml.ObjectCreate.start(XmlMapper.java:616)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchStart(XmlMapper.java:412)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.startElement(XmlMapper.java:91)
	at org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.startElement(XMLReaderAdapter.java:329)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.startElement(SAXParser.java:1376)
	at org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callStartElement(XMLValidator.java:1284)
	at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.scanElement(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1806)
	at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1182)
	at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.java:381)
	at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1098)
	at org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.parse(XMLReaderAdapter.java:223)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:228)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.load(CatalinaService.java:189)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.execute(CatalinaService.java:171)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
	... 5 more

And since the other followup asked if this was Windows, yes, it is. I made the
(wrong) assumption that people would know that "service" vs. "daemon" would
mean Windows. Sorry about that. More specifically, this is a W2K Professional
machine.  Tomcat is 4.0.4. Also, I'm trying to start this as a service AND use
this with IIS. The redirection from IIS is working fine, as long as I don't
need SSL. But I do, and can't get Tomcat to start up with SSL support.

Event Viewer shows this after trying to start the Tomcat service:

  The Java Virtual Machine has exited with a code of 2, the service is being stopped.

TIA,