tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ned Wolpert <wolp...@codeheadsystems.com>
Subject Re: Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:08:12 GMT
EJB provides a way to easily encapsulate business logic and reduce
complexity by moving some difficult functionality/designs into
deployment instead of development. Transaction requirements defined in
the deployment of the EJB beans as opposed to part of the development of
the EJB beans. (And they are easy to migrate/scale to many computers
based on deployment configuration, again, making that task easier for
developers since the programmer does not need to do anything special to
achieve this.

Session beans contain the business logic (Servlets call them)
Entity beans persist the info to the database. (Session beans call them)
Message beans respond to JMS queues/topics.

In reality, EJB is simply another design pattern... one that was
over-hyped by the vendors, but can provide flexibility needed in some
cases.

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 22:34, Josh wrote:
> Don't suppose anybody can send me a pointer as to what EJB and Jboss
> actually achieve? All i managed to glean from their website were some pretty
> 3d variations on the usual "our product in the middle and some arrows"
> diagrams.
>
> -Josh
>
> "Rimmer, real dumplings, proper dumplings when they're properly
>   cooked to perfection, proper dumplings, should not bounce."

Virtually,
Ned Wolpert <wolpert@codeheadsystems.com>                     4e75