tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Bacon <>
Subject RE: Writing files from a class
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:09:16 GMT
Thanks for the reply,

I see that the spec mentions "private temporary directory" - I need a
permananent directory - by temporary I take it to mean that I can't
count on the files "sticking around". Is my understanding here flawed?

Also, I'd like to be able to specify the name and location.
I had seen the javax.servlet.ServletContext.log() methods, but they seem
to offer no control over where the output is placed. I'd rather have a
debug file per class than have all messages sent to a single file.

And finally, I have servlets that take data from a db and place it in a
(text) file for the user to download - so once again a file creation
issue where I need a general file i/o solution.

On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 20:15, Sexton, George wrote:
> >From the servlet 2.3 Specification:
> SRV.3.7.1 Temporary Working Directories
> A temporary storage directory is required for each servlet context. Servlet
> containers must provide a private temporary directory per servlet context,
> and make
> it available via the javax.servlet.context.tempdir context attribute. The
> objects
> associated with the attribute must be of type

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message