tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Wallace <tomca...@rwsoft-online.com>
Subject Problems with <url-pattern>*
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 15:46:07 GMT

Hi there! New to the list. And to java and tomcat, so please be nice.

I have a problem with a servlet mapping. If i use a url-pattern like

<url-pattern>/Hello</url-pattern> on a servlet mapping pointing to a
particular servlet, the servlet get's the request and i can use
request.getServletPath() to get the URI.

But if I use something like <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern> or
<url-pattern>*</url-pattern>, and it seems that anyghing with an *, the
servlet get's called, BUT request.getServletPath() is empty!

What I want is to actually direct all requests to my webapp to a
particular servlet to validate priviledges (is this the best way to
ensure that noone without permission accesses any page?)

Thanks in advance for the help!