tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Polaski <jpola...@rgs.uci.edu>
Subject Open source ODBC driver for SQL Server 7
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:05:35 GMT
I've searched the group, but I was unable to find anything relevant to SQL
Server 7 and free/open source JDBBC drivers. So, can anyone recommend a
decent open source JDBC driver for use with MS SQL Server 7? I'd like a type
3 or 4 driver (as a JDBC-ODBC bridge doesn't seem to be too stable). I'd
consider connection pooling with a JDBC-ODBC bridge if it's stable and not
too slow.

We can pay for drivers if we have to, but our budget is pretty slim this
year so I'm trying to do this on the cheap, if possible. We're running
Tomcat 4.04 on NT. Eventually we'll upgrade to SQL Server 200 and I can use
the MS drivers, but that's will have to wait about a year or so. For now I
just need a basic, stable driver to connect to SQL Server 7.

Thanks in advance for your help,

   Jeff Polaski
   Webmaster
   Research & Graduate Studies
   University California, Irvine

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Meadors [mailto:Larry.Meadors@plumcreek.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 5:37 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tomcat Crashes

It is the JDBC-ODBC stuff. Unless there is NO OTHER POSSIBLE WAY to
connect to your database, do not ever use the JDBC-ODBC bridge except to
convert your data to another format.

It looks from the error that you are using M$ SQL Server. M$ has jdbc
drivers for SQL2000, but not for earlier versions - there are open
source ones though.

If you are not constrained to use SQL Server, get MySQL (it is free) and
convert your data. M$ products (in general) are not very
"java-friendly".

Larry

>>> kingst_n@yahoo.com 08/20/02 06:26 AM >>>
Hi

I am currently running Tomcat 4.0.4 Server on a
Windows 2000 Server (v5.0.2195) with MS SQL
Server 2000 (v8.00.194) and J2SDK 1.4.0. I am also
using JDBC-ODBC bridge to access the database. After
conducting a few tests on my application, I notice
that sometimes Tomcat crashes. When I check the
server, the Tomcat console is missing. I receive the
following log file as shown belo

Can anyone help me with this problem

Thanks
Kingston Sew

An unexpected exception has been detected in native
code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
occurred at PC=0x41166ABA
Function=SQLGetData+0x15
Library=C:\WINNT\System32\SQLSRV32.dll