tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Cédric Viaud <cedric.vi...@matrasi-tls.fr>
Subject Re: Access Parameter
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:27:38 GMT
I totaly agree with Yoav comment.

I just say that technicaly, it's exactly the same, and you should be aware
of it.

In fact, i have ever initiated a project where we finaly only use JSP for
many reasons (principaly , the team was very new to Java/Internet/...), and
make it work. BUT the result was poor, and some month later, we have to make
it again because it was hard to make to code evoluate to fit the new needs.

So, better use JSP for what it is good at : presentation and only
presentation.

In fact, since i know model 2 (also called MVC), i use it without limit. And
refactoring or making my code evoluate  is never a problem.

Regards,

    Cédric

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 3:13 PM
Subject: RE: Access Parameter

Hi,

>As JSP are "compiled" as servlets, you can do with JSP everything you
can
>do
>with servlets.

... but you shouldn't.

JSPs are designed mostly for presentation and some associated logic.
Stuff like "if this field in the database is this value, then show these
values in HTML."

Servlets are designed for more powerful and involved processing,
back-end "stuff", and not as much presentation.

Sometimes knowing the conceptual differences between the technologies
and their intended uses can save you a ton of headaches down the road.
While Cedric's comment above has merits, I would say be very careful
before venturing down that path.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

----