tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark O'Driscoll" <mark...@eircom.net>
Subject Re: How to keep track of sessions
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:20:46 GMT
I am using the sessions to keep track of who is logged on, for how long and
what they have done. Obviously there are other non servlet ways to do this
but as tomcat gives the opportunity to track sessions, I thought I'd use it.
Session persistence highlights a 'hole' in the sessionListener interface.

BTW: I'm surprised you think sessions should not be persisted. I think it's
cool!

Thanks for the help.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 2:17 PM
Subject: RE: How to keep track of sessions

Howdy,

>> Sessions are not meant to be persisted across server restarts.
>>

>Obviously other people have other opinions about that.

Which is why I still suggested a solution I've used in the past ;)

Even though I disagree with the approach of persisting someone else's
proprietary internal objects, I assume that whoever asked the question
has a reasonable and well-thought out cause, so I try to help.

I'm still unclear as to why one would want to save the session object
itself, as opposed to only the parts of interest from it.  Does it have
to do with load-balancing, wanting to somehow augment / superimpose on
the built-in mechanism?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

----