tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rick Fincher" <...@tbird.com>
Subject Re: TOMCAT OUT OF MEMORY
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:00:22 GMT
Hi Pat,

I had this problem with some of the oler versions of Tomcat.  You might try
updating to 4.1.9.

Also, there is a memory leak in the Javac compiler.

When Tomcat starts, it unpacks war files in CATALINA_HOME/webapps (unless
you change the defaults),  and puts them in a folder with the webapp name
(minus the .war).  It then converts those files into Java servlets (.java
files) and puts them in  CATALINA_HOME/work/localhost/webappname.

Those Java files sit there uncompiled until the server calls them the first
time whereupon they are compiled on the fly into .class files and executed.
Tomcat calls javac to compile them and javac doesn't release all the memory.

So, if you have a lot of JSP's you can get quite a bit of memory tied up.
You can restart Tomcat to release the memory.  Unless you modify the JSP the
.class files are preserved.  Or you can use JSPC to pre-compile the JSP's
into servlets and Javac to compile them into class files before starting
Tomcat.

This may not be the source of your problems, but it might be contributing to
the memory problems.

Rick