tomcat-users mailing list archives

From TMo...@s-s-t.com
Subject Re: dynamic VM parameters
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 22:59:48 GMT

check out the CATALINA_OPTS environment variable dude.

                      "Peake, Chris"

                      <CHRIS.PEAKE@ca.         To:      tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org

                      com>                     cc:

                                               Subject: dynamic VM parameters

                      07/01/2002 04:05

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Tomcat Users

                      List"

I have a specific need to supply my servlet application with a dynamic
'windows' platform environment variable.
I want to use the -Dmy.variable=%somevariable% and have my servlet be able
to query the System.getProperty("my.variable');

I have tried to do this in catalina.bat  and put this -d option on 'all' of
the possible startup statements.
I don't seem to capture it in my servlet though.

Other info:
why- because I am dependent on a 3rd party product that relies on this env
variable.  (and it could change)
I am not Tomcat literate at all.
Currenly running under JBuilder and if I use the VM parameters on the run
option, it works.
Eventually, it will be started with Tomcat.exe though.
I'm guessing that catalina.bat gets called by the exe.  Is that true?

thanks,
 chris

Chris Peake