tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Whitcomb, Roger" <Roger.Whitc...@ca.com>
Subject RE: Wrong Encoding returned by Tomcat 4.03 in HTML pages
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:48:53 GMT
Someone else pointed out that for some reason you need to use the

<%@ page contenttype="..." %>

tag to get this to work.  Not sure why, but it solved someone else's
problem.

Roger Whitcomb
Computer Associates
Senior Software Engineer
Development
Phone: +1 408 965 8653
FAX: +1 408 965 8805
roger.whitcomb@ca.com <mailto:roger.whitcomb@ca.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: José Montiel [mailto:jmontiel@manduca.com]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 8:54 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Wrong Encoding returned by Tomcat 4.03 in HTML pages

Hi,

	I just installed Tomcat 4.03 in a Linux/RedHat 7.1 box, and I'm
having the following problem:

	When I call a shtml, html page the browser set character
encoding as Unicode (UTF-8) even though the page has the proper META TAG

	<META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
http-equiv=Content-Type>

If I change character encoding to Western European (ISO) on the browser
the page reloads automatically and the error disappear. If I reload the
page the encoding is changed again to UTF-8.

	If a call a JSP it works just fine, encoding is correct.

	I have tried this with IE 6, Netscape 6 on Windows and Mozilla,
Netscape and Konqueror on Linux, always same result.

	Locale settings on Linux box are set to es_VE, I also tried
en_CA.

	I have set debug level to 6 in all servlets with no luck.

	Any idea?

	Thanks in advance

bye