tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Simon Juden <>
Subject Greek (and other) encodings
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:51:41 GMT

I've got a problem with Greek (and Polish) characters and Tomcat.  I've
reduced the problem to a trivial JSP (attached), which works just fine under
Tomcat 3.2.1 but not 3.2.4 or 3.3.1 - what happens in these latter two cases
is that the browser renders using a "standard" encoding ("Western European
(ISO)"), not the encoding in the Content-type META tag (Greek - Windoze
1253).  Right-clicking in the browser and changing the encoding to Greek
makes the page appear correctly.  This happens in Explorer 6.0 and Netscape
6.2.3, and whether tomcat is running on W2K or Red Hat 6.2 or Red Hat 7.3.
It happens whether you connect direct to tomcat or via Apache 1.3.12 or
1.3.26, using mod_jk.  It happens whether your browser is on W2K or Red Hat

I've looked through the FAQ and bug archives and there are references to
some encoding/wide char bugs being fixed in 3.3.* but few details and
nothing that help in the archives of this or similar lists.  I've tried
JGuru and others as well.

Upgrading to 4.* is not possible (yet - my client plans to do this in 4-5
months).  Any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Many thanks in advance

ProQuest Alison

Please note Alison Associates is now ProQuest Alison - this is purely a change of name to
bring us in line with the rest of the ProQuest group.  As a result our e-mail domain has changed
to  We will also continue to accept messages addressed to
until 1st January 2003.  Please can you ensure that you change any address book entries that
you have to use the new addresses.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attached files is intended only for the use
of the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may be privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. The views of the author may not necessarily reflect the views
of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient please do not copy or convey this message
or any attached files to any other person but delete this message and any attached files and
notify us of incorrect receipt via e-mail to

This message has been checked for all known viruses by MessageLabs.
View raw message