tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joel Sather" <joel.sat...@csu.mnscu.edu>
Subject RE: [offtopic] IDE for Tomcat?
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:44:34 GMT

I was using JDeveloper for a while and it isn't too bad.  I had an old
copy (3.2 something), so I haven't played with the latest version.  It
is pretty big (250+ M), but at least the version I had was native under
Windows.

I tried NetBeans and it was just too slow.  It has a ton of great
features (ANT support, CVS, Tomcat integration), but unless you have a
good machine it might not be worth it.  It was very slow on my 1Ghz
laptop w/ 128M of memory.  You might also try Forte from Sun which is
their version of NetBeans.

Personally, I don't need code completion and stuff so I just use a
simple editor and then ANT to do the builds.  I need to deploy on a
different machine so I just check the file into CVS and run ANT on the
server (does the pull from CVS and then compiles into my JAR).  Once the
build and deployment are done, if you have Tomcat setup right it
recognizes the new JAR has been uploaded.  Very slick.

Software Development Magazine (free subscriptions, but I can't remember
the URL at the moment) just did their Jolt awards and I think IDEA took
the top spot.  They also liked JBuilder (or Borland), though.  Isn't
JBuilder what JDeveloper is based off of?  I can't remember, but I
thought Oracle just licensed someone's IDE.

Anyway, it really depends on which features you need from your IDE.  I
can do everything I need with ANT and vi if I have to now.  :)

-J

Joel Sather
email: Joel.Sather@csu.mnscu.edu
phone: 651-917-4719

>>> Gareth.Segree@gleanerjm.com 06/13/02 01:28PM >>>
what about jdeveloper from oracle, is it any good?