tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <>
Subject Re: Can a URI pattern be matched to a JSP?
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 05:48:28 GMT
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Prashanth Pushpagiri wrote:

> Hello everyone:
> I am using Tomcat 4.0.4 on IIS. I would like to know if there is a
> way of forwarding requests of a particular pattern to a JSP i
> specify using Tomcat?
> For eg. say the user requests for a file like
> /examples/dln/sample.doc I want tomcat to forward the request to a
> JSP /examples/index.jsp instead of serving the file out. I guess
> this is similar to what servlet mapping is! A particular URI pattern
> '/examples/dln' should be forwarded to a particular JSP
> '/examples/index.jsp'.
> Any advice and assistance on this would be very helpful.

Yes, you can do this.

Just define a servlet in your web.xml, and instead of specifying a
servlet-class, specify a jsp-file.  Then you can specify
servlet-mapping's back to that servlet.  A la:

(You used to be able to specify the jsp-file right in the
servlet-mapping  -- i.e. instead of the servlet-name -- but it looks
like that was changed in the 2.3 spec.  I think the above gives the
same effect, just with the extra expense of having to come up with a
servlet name :-).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)