tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: question about hot deployment and manager app....
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 02:41:17 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Jacob Kjome wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:30:02 -0500
> > From: Jacob Kjome <hoju@visi.com>
> > To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: question about hot deployment and manager app....
> >
> > I've been using the ant tasks for the manager app and they are
> > really slick.  Makes testing much easier.
> >
> > However, how does one dynamically install an application when one
> > has to specify context stuff in the server.xml or in a standalone
> > [myapp].xml (using Tomcat 4.1.3)?
[ ... ]

Can you elaborate on this "hot deployment" and Ant tasks?  By "hot
deployment", do you just mean being able to deploy/install/start a web
application using Tomcat's manager application?  And does the Ant
tasks aspect of it just allow this to be done in a more "batch" way,
via the command line?  Also, is doing this via Ant tasks only
available in Tomcat 4.1.X, not 4.0.X?  (I saw a description of it on
the 4.1.X manager how-to page, but not the 4.0.X page).

Also, is this something that only applies to Tomcat standalone, or
will it work when Tomcat is integrated with Apache?  If so, how does
it take care of the neccesary Apache httpd directives (either JkMount
or WebAppDeploy or whatever) to make sure Apache forwards the
appropriate requests to Tomcat.

Thanks.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer