tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: mod_jk /examples/* works but /servlet/* doesn't
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:44:41 GMT
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Avnish Pundir wrote:

> Brendan,
> Thanks extending your help.
> I can go with individual deployment, not a big problem (but still is
> a problem isn't it). But just want to know when this isn't supported
> than why the hell so many sites (I have seen more than 4-5 sites,
> one site setup J2EE on windows and use ONLY these two directives,
> /*.jsp and /servlet/*) mentions this thing? Why don't they clearly
> write it down it doesn't work this way ? This question is not about
> you or me, it's about them who claim this works when in fact it
> doesn't.  I have verified same behavior on 3 different machine with
> 100% individual setups with same results.
>
> Again I would like to ask EVERYONE, HAS ANY BODY SUCCESSFULLY TRIED
> FOLLOWING DIRECTIVE ?
> "JkMount /servlet/* ajp13"
>
> If yes, PLEASE let me know on which platform. I have spent nearly
> more than three days setting it up on three different machines. Am I
> missing something ?
[ ... ]

FWIW, going by my understanding of the JkMount directive, I don't
think that should work.  Actually, I think it will work for servlets
in the ROOT (i.e. default) context, but not for any of the other
contexts under Tomcat.  I sent out a long note or two earlier
explaining my understanding of JkMount and "servlet/" in the URL.  But
basically, the above directive tells Apache to forward all URLs
begining with "/servlet/" (after the host:post part, that is) to
Tomcat.  When Tomcat sees such a URL, it's going to look for a servlet
in the ROOT context.

BTW, the whole mechanism of "/servlet/" in a URL causing a servlet to
be called is controlled by some settings in Tomcat's master web.xml
file (at least for Tomcat 4.0).  Look for the definition of "invoker"
and a related servlet-mapping.  It's something that can easily be
disabled if you don't want to use this mechanism, and instead only
call servlets that have been defined.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)