tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Markus Gieppner" <vik...@mgfint.com>
Subject RE: The best website database!
Date Sat, 29 Jun 2002 14:27:06 GMT
Hi Amram,

Take a look at SAPDB (www.sapdb.org). It's free even for commercial
applications, very scalable & powerful, has plenty of functions, stored
procedures, transactions, replication etc., a nice user interface in
Windows. JDBC, ODBC, Perl and Python interfaces, a C/C++ precompiler and
lots of documentation is available.

For a simple website that doesn't require transactions this might actually
be almost an overkill, and a "lightweight" db be more appropriate (like
MySQL).  SAPDB is closer to the big ones like Oracle.

I personally like it a lot, unlike PostGreSQL it runs well on Windows.

Markus

-----Original Message-----
From: AMRAN121@aol.com [mailto:AMRAN121@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 6:05 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: The best website database!

Hi All

I currently use MS ACCESS as my backend to my website and other developers
in
the forum have advised this is not a good choice and I am aware of this but
was forced to use it as all data comes to me in MS ACCESS from database
admin
that supply the data for the website. I want to know what is the best
database to use for a website?

features I am looking for are:

1- An excellent GUI (Very important) front like MS ACCESS where I can
quickly
design queries, tables and so on. I normally design all the queries in MS
ACCESS and then I just write the single line command "SELECT QUERY1" rather
than writing the full query in a javabean or jsp page by hand as this saves
me alot of time.

2- Good drivers (I know the MYSQL comes with Mark Mathews free drivers which
are excellent - so i am preferabally looking for a cheap/free driver
aswell).

3- Be able to export MS ACCESS databases (I would like to do this but not
extremely important in long run as I might be able to convince my data
suppliers to change databases)

4- Must be quite fast at processing alot of queries.

I have done some reading on ORACLE, MYSQL (used it in university but was
only
text based!!! I know there are some GUI available but how good are they?),
and SQL Server.

Input welcomed from all

Thanks in advance
Kind Regards