tomcat-users mailing list archives

From TMo...@s-s-t.com
Subject Re: HELP! iSaSiLk 3.04 and Tomcat4
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:19:02 GMT

I remember using issasilk a couple years ago... I barely recall there being
some system property that you're supposed to set so that it uses your
particular SSL implementation. I think somehow that's not getting set or
somebody's resetting it after you... hth.

However the thing is, you can get a great SSL implementation straight from
sun nowadays:http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/. The only reason I ever
used issasilk was because my coworkers were adamantly opposed to upgrading
to jdk 1.2 (fud), which was required for Sun's SSL. JSSE was better behaved
(issasilk would always throw an exception at the end of the stream or
something) and of course free. JSSE is now included in JDK 1.4, and is I
think included in some of the tomcat distributions.

But hats off to those Austrian folks for making java SSL inexpensive while
the competition was gouging people for upwards of $20K....

(note - It's probably not necessary to post to both tomcat-dev and users
for this sort of thing)

                      "Luca Ventura"

                      <ventural@libero         To:      "tomcat-user" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      .it>                     cc:

                                               Subject: HELP! iSaSiLk 3.04 and Tomcat4

                      06/28/2002 03:35

                      AM

                      Please respond

                      to "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Hello everybody!

I have the following problem....

I have installed Apache Tomcat 4 (as Web Server) on a Windows XP machine.
Then I have
written a servlet that use IAIK's iSaSiLk 3.04 APIs to open https
connections
(you can find iSaSiLk at:
http://jcewww.iaik.tu-graz.ac.at/products/index.php).

The problem is that when my servlet tries to connect to a secure site (like
"https://jcewww.iaik.at/")
I receive a strange error:

java.lang.ClassCastException:
sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl

In attach you find a snapshot with the detailed descriprion of the error
(note that
https.Https is the class I have written to open https connections).

The code that I have written (in the https.Https class used by the servlet)
to open https connections is:

import java.io.*;
import java.net.*;
import iaik.security.ssl.*;
import iaik.protocol.https.*;

..
      String urlString = "https://jcewww.iaik.at/";
      URL url = new URL(urlString);
      HttpsURLConnection con = (HttpsURLConnection)url.openConnection();
      SSLContext context = new SSLClientContext();
             con.setSSLContext(context);
      con.setRequestMethod("POST");
      con.setDoInput(inviaInput);
      con.setDoOutput(true);

I receive the "java.lang.ClassCastException" at the moment to execute the
statement:
HttpsURLConnection con = (HttpsURLConnection)url.openConnection();

I want to point out that I have put
"iaik_jce_full.jar","iaik_ssl.jar","w3c_http.jar" in the WEB-INF/lib folder
of my application.

The strange thing is that if I tried to execute my https connection using
the same IAIK's libraries
but from a Java stand-alone program (that is to say without using the Web
Server and the servlet)
all works fine. I am afraid that there is some library installed in my Web
Server that has some conflict with iSaSiLk 3.04 APIs.

What do you think about?

Is there someone can help me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

                                  Luca