tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "franzR" <reitinger.fr...@utanet.at>
Subject AW: tomcat and apache
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2002 08:19:23 GMT
Tomcat is listening on port 8080 and the standard port for HTTP is port 80.
If you only call a page like   "http://<ip-address>/examples" then the
webserver looks for a directory called examples. The http-server has
no knowledge that the resource is managed by a servlet engine. Therefore you
must complete your URL by the requested port (8080). Port 80 is a so called
"well knwon port" & need not be specified extra, but if you want to have a
very correct URL you must type in: "http://<address>:80/documentation/servlet.html".
You can use other ports than 8080 - but mostly it really makes no sense.
Have also a look to the conf-directory of tomcat and tomcat's documentation.

franzR

     __   _
    / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
   / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
  /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\
           TUX for President

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Andreas Boeyer [mailto:mail@aboeyer.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 31. Mai 2002 23:04
An: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Betreff: tomcat and apache

Hello,
I have a problem with apache and tomcat.
Everything is working fine, as long I stay on the same computer.
If I call the servelet examples or jsp from an other computer it
only work if I typ the IP-address and the port 8080.
If I call the page "normal" like  http://<ip-address>/examples
the browser always say webpage not found
I try now since two days and don't know how to solve my problem.

when I call the examples with a webbrowser on the local computer the adress
line of the browser change to
http://linux.local/examples

How can external computers find my servlet if the adress change to
http://linux.local/examples

Thanks a lot
Andreas

mail@aboeyer.com