tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Andryc <kand...@miser.umass.edu>
Subject RE: Connection pooling doesn't work for me ... Help !!
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:35:37 GMT
I apologize but I saw this post late. I had a problem with connection
pooling using Oracle and JNDI. To get around it I had to do something like
this:

In conf\server.xml

<Resource name="jdbc/mydb" auth="Container"
type="oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionPoolDataSource" />
   <ResourceParams name="jdbc/mydb">
      <parameter>
         <name>user</name>
         <value>user</value>
       </parameter>
        <parameter>
           <name>password</name>
           <value>password</value>
        </parameter>
        <parameter>
           <name>driverClassName</name>
         </parameter>
         <parameter>
             <name>driverName</name>
             <value>jdbc:oracle:thin:@oracle.ds:1521:db</value>
        </parameter>
 </ResourceParams>

In WEB-INF/web.xml

<web-app>

   <servlet>
      <servlet-name>OracleConnectionPool</servlet-name>
      <servlet-class>aOracleConnectionPool</servlet-class>
      <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
   </servlet>

   <resource-ref>
      <res-ref-name>jdbc/mydb</res-ref-name>
      <res-type>oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionPoolDataSource</res-type>
      <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
   </resource-ref>

</web-app>

OracleConnectionPool.java

try {
	Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
	OracleConnectionPoolDataSource ocpds = new
OracleConnectionPoolDataSource();
	ResourceBundle rb = ResourceBundle.getBundle("database");
	ocpds.setURL(rb.getString("url"));
	ocpds.setUser(rb.getString("user"));
	ocpds.setPassword(rb.getString("password"));
	initCtx.rebind("axesdb", ocpds);
} catch (SQLException sqlex) {
	sqlex.printStackTrace();
} catch (Exception ex) {
	ex.printStackTrace();
}

In your code:

Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
OracleConnectionPoolDataSource ocpds =
(OracleConnectionPoolDataSource)initCtx.lookup("mydb");
PooledConnection pooledConnection = ocpds.getPooledConnection();
Connection connection = pooledConnection.getConnection();
Statement statement = connection.createStatement();
ResultSet resultSet = statement.executeQuery(sql);

Good Luck!

Kevin

Kevin Andryc
Web Systems Engineer