tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Josh Fenlason" <jfenla...@ptc.com>
Subject RE: JNDIRealm authentication
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:21:46 GMT
Where does the value of <role-name> come from?  Thanks for all your help.
,
Josh.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Eric Miller [mailto:jemiller@uchicago.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 2:21 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JNDIRealm authentication

Josh,

You also need to put something similar to the following in your web.xml
file. i.e. the stuff you put in server.xml, just tells Tomcat where to
authenticate. The stuff in web.xml, tells Tomcat what resources are
protected and what roles are required in order to access a particular
resource. I have this in my conf/web.xml and as far as I can tell, it makes
it so that it prompts for a password for any resource that is located on the
server. If it's just a servlet that you are protecting, I think you should
be able to put this in the web.xml file for that context. The Servlet 2.3
spec defines the format of the web.xml file. You can find it at
http://java.sun.com under the Servlets section.

<security-constraint>
 <web-resource-collection>
  <web-resource-name>myresource</web-resource-name>
  <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
 </web-resource-collection>
 <auth-constraint>
  <role-name>myrole</role-name>