tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Annal" <MarkAn...@targusinfo.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.0.3 performance
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:09:59 GMT
We have been benchmarking an Apache/Tomcat installation over recent days.

We are running Apache 1.3.24, Tomcat 4.03, JRE 1.3.1 and a mod_webapp connector on a Sun 220R
(Solaris 8, 2GB RAM, dual 440MHz CPU's).

Accessing a "simple" servlet that "faked" our application to generate a 750 byte HTTP response
we have been seeing 165 transactions per second at 75% CPU.

Our actual "application" servlet is a really just a front-end that funnels network queries
via TCP to a back-end database. Using that servlet we were getting 125 transactions per second
again at 75% CPU.

We have been unable to push the machine to full load and it appears that Tomcat and/or the
JVM is the gating issue. We can keep throwing more load at it but the throughput remains the
same (response times begin to climb instead).

This is with a single Tomcat instance at this point. We are considering testing with two Tomcat
instances to see what happens.

Mark Annal                       e-mail: markannal@targusinfo.com
TARGUSinfo                       phone : (585) 598-7011
255 Woodcliff Drive              fax   : (585) 598-7001
Fairport, NY 14450               web   : www.targusinfo.com