tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.1.3 ServletException
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:21:58 GMT
Howdy,
First of all, go have a cold coke or something ;)  Debugging while
frustrated is, well, frustrating ;)

>javax.servlet.ServletException: No results were returned by the query.
>at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException
>(PageContextImpl.java:479)
>at org.apache.jsp.main$jsp._jspService(Unknown Source)
><snip exception stack>
>
>There is a database query that is being executed in one of the
supporting
>beans for the page.  However, I have no IDEA what bean its occuring in
or
>which query is being executed.

If you wrote the supporting bean, can you perhaps output logging
information before trying to execute the query?

>Why doesn't Jasper tell me what line number and what bean its occuring
in?

Jasper probably doesn't tell you the line number because the bean was
not compiled with debugging information, which is usually required in
order to get line numbers in exception traces.

As to which bean is causing the exception, my guess is Jasper can't tell
you that because the bean didn't expect and thus doesn't catch this
exception.  ServletException is what the container is supposed to throw
when an exception propagates up, uncaught by any of your classes.

>Heck, I'd even settle at looking at the generated servlet .java file
and
>trying to find it myself, but it doesn't even list where the error
occured
>in the _jspService method in the sourcecode.

Would it be possible for you to attach a profiler/debugger, e.g.
OptimizeIt, to the running server?  Alternatively, can you write a
command-line program to test your compiled JSP class with dummy
requests?

Yoav