tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Servlet / Tomcat question
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:38:57 GMT
Howdy,
If your web-application is called MyApp, and your servlet class is
com.mycompany.myclass, you'd access it as
http://myserver.mydomain:myport/MyApp/servlet/com.mycompany.myclass

If you deployed to the ROOT web app, so that your context is the root
context, you would remove the /MyApp/ part from the above URL.

If you have a web.xml file (a Deployment Descriptor is a good thing to
have -- it'll become a good friend of yours ;)), you can alias the
servlet like

<servlet>
  <servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
  <servlet-class>com.mycompany.myclass</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/MyServlet</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping

And then you could access it as
http://myserver.mydomain:myport/MyApp/MyServlet

See the Servlet Spec (v2.3 if you're using tomcat v4.x) for what goes in
the Deployment Descriptor etc.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics