tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Douglas, Rory" <Rory.Doug...@na.sunchem.com>
Subject RE: what is the mod_jk2 file???
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:11:41 GMT
Hi Steve,

mod_jk2 is the name of a module used to connect Tomcat to the Apache Web
Server. It allows Apache to handle static HTML, and pass requests for JSPs
through to Tomcat.

Before you starting messing with mod_jk,mod_jk2 or mod_webapp (all used to
make the Tomcat-Apache connection), make certain you actually need their
functionality. If you are Tomcat novice you can most likely use Tomcat as
your web server (using the included Coyote HTTP 1.1 connector) for both
static and dynamic pages. Much less config, much more documentation, much
less hassle. This is how I develop anyway.

If you need/want to try the Apache/Tomcat hook-up using mod_jk2, you will
need to:

1)Install Apache 2
2)Download mod_jk2.dll or mod_jk2.so (depending on whether you use Windows
or Unix)
3)Copy it into Apache2InstallDir\modules

and then follow the rest of the procedure outlined in previous posts to this
list.

Again, though, if you just want to develop and test JSP pages using Tomcat,
there's no real need to hook it up to Apache. Unless you just like doing
things the hard way.

Rory