tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Morelock <subscripti...@phillipmorelock.com>
Subject Re: Does Tomcat want to stand alone?
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 03:34:29 GMT
On 6/4/02 8:37 PM, "Gus Heck" <sparverius@telocity.com> wrote:

> I don't think it is so hard to do the java part, and I suspect that the
> tomcat part isn't that hard either, but I am really criticising the
> documentation more than anything else. I am not opposed to extra keystrokes
> for benefits of java, but I do really dislike reading page after irrelevant
> page hoping to stumble on the nugget I need. I feel that the documentation
> focuses on the neat cool things that tomcat does that non java servers
> don't, and omits the routine basic stuff. Even if it takes a few more
> keystrokes or some extra thought in Tomcat, I shouldn't have trouble finding
> out how to turn of directory indexing. (for example).
>
> Gus

Yeah that one is particularly nasty.  I agree with you on all your points, I
guess I'm just one of those people who's invested so much of this time on
"irrelevant keystrokes" that I can't turn back :)

The benefits continue -- I've actually found that because I've had to find
out so much about the guts of Tomcat, my knowledge and skills are very
portable because I know all these dirty tricks, irrelevant keystrokes, and
hidden corners -- that perhaps some implementations document better than
others.

The other funny little paradox is:
Tomcat 4 has 10 times as much official documentation as Tomcat 3, but Tomcat
4 is 50 times more complex to use than Tomcat 3.  Well, not really...but
there is a sneaky ratio like this at play.

fillup