tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Varley, Roger" <Roger.Var...@brake.co.uk>
Subject RE: Memory blowup and performance problems
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:23:54 GMT

> thanks for your fast answer!
> I'm using tomcat 4.03 with apache 1.3 (mod_jk). i have a bigger web
> application
> with jsp's and servlets. my jdk is 1.4.0_01. the box is in
> testing phase, so
> there are
> 10 to 20 requests per day and no more users than 2 at on time.

If you are using JDBC access in your servlets, ensure that you are closing
your result sets particularly if you are using connection pooling. We got
caught that way. Before we started using database connection pooling we
depended on the connection closing to close the result set. Once we switched
to connection pooling we forgot that the connection never gets closed and as
a result we ran the server out of memory. Once we closed the result set
prior to returning the connection to the pool, then everything was OK

Regards
Roger

Information in this message is confidential and may be privileged.  It is
for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s).  If you are not the
intended recipient(s) please notify the sender and delete the message
immediately.  Unauthorised disclosure, distribution and copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  The opinions expressed within this message
are those of the individual author.  Whilst Brakes takes reasonable steps to
scan this email it does not accept liability for any virus that may be
contained in it.

Brake Bros plc. Registered Office: Enterprise House, Eureka Business Park,
Ashford, Kent TN25 4AG.
 Registered in England & Wales number 2035315.