tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: Choosing between mod_jk or mod_webapp?
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:08:31 GMT

>From the Tomcat 4.0.2 release notes:

"Currently, mod_webapp forwards *all* requests under the specified context
path to Tomcat for processing.  In a futher release, it will automatically
configure itself to serve static resources from Apache *unless* the resource
is subject to filtering, or subject to a security constraint, as defined in
web.xml.  No extra configuration in httpd.conf will be required."

So it looks like mod_webapp is the best choice, but apparently it's not
ready to do what you want to do, yet.  I can't seem to find any indication
of when mod_webapp will start distinguishing between static and dynamic
content, so it could be awhile before that functionality is released.

So for now, I would think sticking with mod_jk would be the way to go,
especially if it is working the way your client wants it to work.

HTH

John Turner
jturner@aas.com
http://www.aas.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan McDonough [mailto:ryan.mcdonough@rcn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 11:11 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Choosing between mod_jk or mod_webapp?

I'm trying to help a client of mine choose between using mod_webapp or
mod_jk as their link between Tomcat and Apache. I have been successful in
getting both connectors to work, the question is which one is better? My gut
says mod_webapp is the way to go, but I haven't spent much time with it to
make a solid decision about it. I should mention some of my clients
requirements and concerns. As a requirement, they want Apache to handle
serving all non-JSP files such as images, html, javascripts, etc. They are
currently happy with mod_jk because they can configure like this:

JkMount /*.jsp ajp13

They like the idea that they an put JSP's in the doc root and tomcat will
only serve the JSP's. They are also running virtual hosts on Apache, and
they want the webapp to be mounted at the root of each virtual host. Their
concern is that if mod_webapp is used, HTML and image files will still be
served up by Tomcat, thus bringing into question if Apache is reducing the
server load on Tomcat.

I too am curious if mod_webapp uses Apache to server image and HTML files.
It does seem that mod_webapp is using Tomcat to serve everything, whereas
mod_jk seems to just handle servlets and JSP's. I know I can place an images
directory somewhere in Apache, but they also want to start using webapps to
deploy a complete module. So, in a nutshell, what connector is the best
choice? I would greatly appriciate any advice on this topic. Thanks.

Ryan-