tomcat-users mailing list archives

From AMRAN...@aol.com
Subject connection pooling strategy
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:43:56 GMT
Hi All

I am a regular reader of this mailing list now and I quite often read about
connection pooling. I sort of understand what it is and I have read it in
many books. I just wanted to know what real benefits does it actually
provide? My home tomcat server runs with a MS Access database conected to it
and when i create the ODBC datasource it gives you the option to connection
pool. I tried it but i could not see any real improvements? So my question is
in what type of environment does one really need to invest the time to design
a connection pool strategy for? and if you have a MS Access database then is
it better to write your own connection pool or use MS Access connection pool?
Do other databses come with connection pools?

Thanxs in advance

Regards
Amran