tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Victor Popiol" <vpop...@douwantit.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4 performance issues - Trying Tomcat 4.1.3 Beta
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:14:15 GMT
My initial suspition was Jasper. But there have been less and less JSP compilations after the
site was deployed.

One thing I wanted to try, to rule out Jasper, was to precompile all the JSP's. But I can't
figure out how to do that. I guess I'll have to write an ant build file using the jsp compilation
task.

Also, is there a way to query tomcat for resources held? I.E. JDBC connections.

Could there be something in our code causing these leaks in a way that the container would
run out of memory? We have tried the application on JRun 4 in our test lab and have not been
able to run out of memory yet.

Thanks
Victor

-----Original Message-----
From: Remy Maucherat [mailto:remm@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 12:09 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 4 performance issues - Trying Tomcat 4.1.3 Beta

Victor Popiol wrote:
> It also helped us when we increased the memory. Right now, we have scheduled a daily
service restart (this is in production :-( ).

> I'll be looking forward to your feedback regarding 4.1.5

Since apparently you are not using many static pages, this would seem to
rule out the bug which got fixed.

Jasper 2 introduces pooling for a lot of objects which previously
weren't pooled, so it is a possible cause. Maybe there is a problem with
the size of those pools, although I didn't notice anything completely
wrong in the code.

This will need to be investigated. Overall, 4.1.x should use a little
bit more memory than 4.0.x, but there shouldn't be a huge difference.

Note: 4.1.5 introduces more pooling (rather than less), like for tag
instances for example, but those pools have limits on their size.

Remy