tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Christophe Bouhier (ECM)" <Christophe.Bouh...@ecm.ericsson.se>
Subject RE: TO ALL NEWBIES:advice from a semi-newbie
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 06:47:14 GMT
I use  JWSDP aswell. The tutorial is great. and you get some
additional stuff like the deploytool.(for creating WAR's and web.xml).
I have switched to ant, though as it's much faster and more flexible.

I also have a launcher.java, wich enables me to debug servlets in Jbuilder.

I am just wondering, as I create lightweight servlets, is it possible to
trim down tomcat so it launches faster and consumes lesser memory? Any advise on this
would be great. ( I am think of removing libraries but which ones are critical? and perhaps
running with smaller heapsize?)

to summarize, JWSDP is really cool. It takes some time to setup the developement environment
though.
(build.xml, web.xml wars etc.....)

Cheers / Christophe

-----Original Message-----
From: Liam Morley [mailto:lmorley@cthulhu.gdc.wpi.edu]
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 1:46 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: TO ALL NEWBIES:advice from a semi-newbie

This is probably great advice for a newbie, although I can't say for
sure as I haven't checked the Web Services pack out yet and couldn't
evaluate it. To clarify, jdk1.3.1 does work with tomcat 4.x (or at least
it does so far), however I'm not sure if you need jdk1.4 for the web
services pack. I'm curious as to whether most people go with tomcat as
part of a bundled package (either with Sun Forte or with Sun Web
Services Dev Pack), or if they get it seperately from Apache Jakarta.
I've always gone for getting it seperately, because I know what version
I'm getting, I'm not worried about it being scaled down or having a
different configuration system, and I know how to upgrade. But I
certainly can see the advantages of a bundled system for somebody who's
learning. Does anybody use a bundled system elsewhere as well?

Liam Morley