tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Christophe Bouhier (ECM)" <Christophe.Bouh...@ecm.ericsson.se>
Subject RE: New User - Many Questions To Come
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 05:22:52 GMT
Hello Rich,

you made a wise decission to leave the dark side.......

regarding your descriptor:

Your syntax looks fine, is it at the bottom of the web.xml (just before
</web-app>)?

I noticed the web.xml is really sensitive to spaces placed after ">". try
using an editor
which shows spaces (personally I am a Jedit fan). I had a similar issue
where the
app just failed to start.

Good luck. and let the force be with you ;-)
</Christophe>

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich [mailto:mason@opusnet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 11:38 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: New User - Many Questions To Come

...First post...

I'm not new to web development, but I am new to Tomcat, new to JSP, and
pretty-much new to Java.   My background is in VBScript ASP, IIS, etc.

I finally figured out that I could not have my tomcat handling DNS stuff
without setting it to listen on port 80, and that IIS really loves
trying to get in the way of things.  I am finally past all that now...

[ My Setup: Win 2k Server; Tomcat 4.0.4; JDK 1.4 ]

First question...

When I try and put a session timeout constraint in my web.xml file, the
application will not start.  I place the following code in the <web-app>
(^C^V directly from Tomcat's example):

<session-config>
  <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
</session-config>

And the app is a no-go.  When I run 'list' in the manager app it says
the root app is stopped and the other apps are fine.

Anyone else experience this and/or have a solution?

Many more questions to come.

Cheers,
Rich