tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Everman <ever...@precedadesign.com>
Subject Re: AW: Unwanted Subscriptions, Suggestions
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:17:40 GMT
At 02:33 AM 6/26/2002, you wrote:
> > That has been done.
>
>Yeah, the problem is that the people who really need the help often
>don't know how to (or even can't) find the definitive answer. It's a
>catch 22.
>
> > You get the result if you send a mail to
> > mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org.
>
>What _is_ the purpose of the "mailto:" protocol specifier in the link?
>
>I know it is mis-handled on the browser that is most commonly used by
>those who have the most trouble. (Which means that a click on the link
>doesn't work for them, even if they are sending from the address they
>subscribed from!)

Yes - I think this is a key problem.  For someone who doesn't make the
connection . . . "Lets see, in order to be taken off this list, the
recipient machine must be able to identify me.  I am receiving this email
via my *other* account, so if I send a fresh email, it will contain my
normal email address - not the one I am actually receiving this incessant
tech drivel on.  Therefore, I must reply and manually change the address."

Perhaps removing the mailto: will make the email address un-clickable (a
start) and having the footer message state that to unsubscribe you should
*reply* to the address shown?  If that sounds like a possible solution, who
do we ask to make the change?

Eric Everman