tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Everman <ever...@precedadesign.com>
Subject Re: Logout using FORM based authentication
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 21:56:49 GMT
There are definitely some issues involved here.

If you are working on a company site that will restrict access of the site
to a list of people that is managed separately (ie the HR department or IT
department adds a person as a user who is allowed to access the site),
container managed security is for you.

If you are working on a site that you want to allow visitors to create
profiles / logins on the fly, stick with your existing session key system.

The 'key' reason is this:  The servlet API provides no access to login
mechanism - you cannot programmatically log a user in.  So if you direct a
user to a 'create new login' page, you have no way to cause the user to be
logged in after they have finished creating the login.  You can have your
user's create a profile on one page, save the results to your security db,
then have the user login on another page that posts to j_security_check,
but there is no way to do it in one step - very confusing for casual visitors.

One nice feature of the 2.3 spec is filters, which to some degree will
allow you to extend you session key security to behave *similarly* to the
declarative security of the CMA.  By that I mean that by using a filter,
you can configure the security in the web.xml file, rather then having to
add tags or other logic to pages in order to protect them.

Best of luck,

Eric Everman